Wednesday, October 17, 2007

TukTuk's and busy streets

Hey there friends! Ben and I made it safely to Thailand after pretty much 24 hours of straight flying, crazyness i know.
Before we got on the final flight to take us into Bangkok (BKK) we met 2 other travellers. One actually making her way back to Thailand, her home country. Aom is her name. Pronounced Ohm. She and I talked the whole way from HongKong to BKK, quite a nice girl. She was living in Canada for a year taking english in B.C.! How cool is that. The other guy, Dylan, also from Canada just got an inheritance and is now travelling for a whole year! he is in Phuket(sp?) right now and he and I are planning on meeting up once Ben gets into his Muay Thai training camp. I am also planning on going to Aom's home town and staying with her for a week or so since she is out of school right now.

Journal Entry from this morning:

I'm standing on my balcony on the 5th floor of the New World Hotel. A rooster is cooing in the nearby streets about every 15 seconds. The sun has risen and so has Bangkok's people. We arrived here yesterday at around 2.30pm and checked in. After getting checked in we went on a walk, just us and our money belts, down the streets of northern BKK. There are stray dogs everywhere, and they all look so tired and hungry. They barely move, most of them laying lazily in the center of a busy street. I remember passing one when we left for our walk that was in the exact same position when we returned hours later.
The most surprising thing for me was the traffic. NO one signals or bothers to shoulder check. People make mover at their leisure. It is pure organized chaos, if that is indeed possible. 95% of the cars are Toyota.
Yesterday on our walk we passed numerous TukTuk drivers all of course offering us a "discounted" rate. A couple of times they offered us "free" rides, some sort of scam im sure.
We ate at a packed little restaurant on Khao San Rd. We both had Phad Thai for 80B, I a coke, Ben a Banana Milkshake. 25B and 45B respectively. The food was amazing!!! I also couldnt believe the price. Ben later bought a pak of cigs for 45B and a lighter for 10B
I see the occational monk walking barefoot down some of the dirtiest streets I've ever seen, wearing nice orange robes.
This morning I also witnessed about 5 police on motorcyles arrive, followed by a police truck to arrest three Thai people. I'm curious as to why.
Ben just got up so were going for our free breakfast downstairs. bye!
-end of entry-

p.s. - the breakfast was delicious.

ill post again soon. thanks for reading.

-Matt

2 comments:

Mark said...

Sorry I missed you last night, I must have been sleeping.

Sounds like Jen and I were right, you are meeting a lot of cool people. We're both glad to hear it.

Your description of what you saw from your balcony made me smile, it was a lot like India when we first arrived. When you finally get back to Winnipeg you're going to wonder why on earth people stand on the sidewalk when there are car coming. Keep posting Matt!

Don Ward said...

Hi Matt - Hey have any pics yet - we are awaiting anxiously!

Mom and Dad