Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ko Samet to Chiang Mai

Hey there friends! I'm now in Chiang Mai at the little internet cafe that is close to our place. This is the first time I've used a system like this before. How it works is; you buy a certain amount of time (such as 5 hours for 100B {which is amazing by the way!} and they give you a user name a password that you can use until the time on your account expires!), I rather like it this way. I am then not forced to use an hour every time I want to post.
Well, as you can tell by the title of this post, I am not in Chiang Mai! How did I get here you ask? Well, thanks for asking by the way. We took a ferry back to Ban Phe for 70B, a taxi for 20B to Rayong, a bus to Bangokok for around 130B, then another overnight bus to Chiang Mai for 400B. The overnight bus was air-conditioned which was very nice! I slept and wrote in my journal about some issues of my own that I will not bore you all with! I also wrote a new song... well the lyrics to it anyways. I didn't want to wake up the others on the bus with my "stellar" guitar playing...
When we arrived in Chiang Mai it was morning, and a beautiful one at that! Absolutely perfect temperature!
When we got here we found a room at a place called Daret's House, a VERY cheap little place. Only 150B per night, so only 75B for me and the same for Ben. Now remember that our dollar is worth about 35B, so this is "cheap cheap" as the locals say. Another expression that they find funny and they use a lot is "same same" hahah. I'm not sure why it's funny but it is apparently.
I wanted to go to the Zoo here in Chiang Mai, so we did so. 100B entry fee. Cool animals. I will post the pictures that I took there if I can get this memory card reader that I bought today working... it doesn't seem to be though. 190B price tag on that little item.
Today we went to the elephant camp and watched a show, a little touristy I must admit but still cool. Then we went for an elephant ride for about 40 minutes or so. Fun, but slow... hahaha. price tag - 700B total... a little pricey but whatever.
We then took off to a snake farm and saw all kinds of snakes, poisonous and non, this was accompanied with a 200B fee and a snake show.
That was my day today.
I'll get some pictures posted once I get this card reader working... I may have to take it back, if that is indeed possible. I'll post pictures for all of my posts.
sorry for the delay.

bye now

matt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to Chiang Mai. I am not sure why you decided to go to Chaing mai now. I thought you were gonna go south first. Anyhow, since you are in Chaing Mai, drop by safari world, go up to Doi Suthep (song teaw is only 20B up, I think), go to Doi Intanon (sure there are tour package u can buy), go to Night Bazzarre (bought lots of cheap stuff, dont forget to bargain). My mom is probably in HK now. If you need a guide, i will ask my friend's friend for you. Stay awhile. I will tell u more of some other cool things to do. I can contact my previous colleagues to take you out bowling, nice meals, etc.

Unknown said...

hey you should take Nipon up on his offers! Sounds great! Interesting blog post, Matt...good to hear about the elephants and snakes.