Saturday, November 10, 2007

Permanent-Pai

Hey friends and family. I hope you are all doing well as it gets colder by the day. It's always hot here during the day, but night is a different story. It actually gets close to freezing here at night time, and when your spoiled constantly with wonderful rays of sunshine during the day, it feels cold.

As the title of this post suggests, I have decided to stay here in Pai for the majority of my time here in Thailand. I just can't deny how happy, content and free I feel when I'm here. It really feels like I have found a home. I do not think I have felt this care free, relaxed and content as I do right now.
In the past couple of weeks I have gotten to know a lot of people here in Pai, it's a wonderful feeling when you are meeting new people. The most influential person I have met in ALL of my travels is a guy named Fook. He is 21, and has lived here in Pai for 6 years now. He grew up in Chiang Mai and spent some years in Sukothai.
One night, I was sitting around a bonfire at a outdoor bar called "Don't Cry" when Fook approached me. The next day he came over with his motorbike and took me around town, we at lunch, met some of his friends here and then later grabbed some supper. Over the following week after meeting Fook things just started happening. We hung out literally every day. I decided to stay in Pai for at least 3 months. Fook introduced me to Katie, his friend from Canada. She introduced me to Norbert. Norbert was looking for a singer for a band he wanted to start, he had a bass player and a drummer but none of them had been in a band together before. Later we got together, decided on a list of about 8 songs to start with and soon we will be practicing them with hopes to play out here in Pai.
Fook also helped me find a house in Mae He, a little village just outside of Pai, 7 minute drive. I pay 3,000B or $85 CND per month for rent, plus electricity. The house has a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and living room! When we originally saw it I thought it wasn't anything special. But in the last few days I, with the help of Fook, picked out pillows and tables, the works! I spent 2,500B to furnish it. Not bad at all. I also rented a motorbike for my stay here. A Honda Dream was my choice, 4 gears, manual, dark green. Remember, even Martin Luther had a dream! Now I do!!! I pay 1,800B or $50 CND per month for it, plus gas.
I have not taken any picture of the house of bike as of yet but I will post them on here when I get around to it.
Love you all!
Here are those pictures I promised:
Here is Fook making covers for the florescent lights cause there so ugly.


My living room after I put the cushions and table in, but wait, it will get better!


My living room after putting some fabric up to cover the dirty walls.

My room, I'm still not quite done with it yet, but it will do for now.

My house from the outside.

The view from my house!!


My kitchen and bathroom, the bathroom isn't green by the way, the light is covered with that green tissue paper.


My mirror!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds really nice.

Unknown said...

Great news, Matt! I am so glad you are so happy! For us Canadians who aren't familiar with what the "baht" is worth, it would be nice if you could tell us what your rent and the motorbike cost in Canadian $$, maybe on your next posting.
love you!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

i would love waking up every morning and walking outside to that view
andrew

Anonymous said...

quite the bachlor pad you got going on there Matty!! I can't beleive what you are paying for all of that. maybe this will encourage other people who read this to travel more

jake

Unknown said...

I am incredibly jealous of both you and ben. I have been thinking of a trip to south america for myself.

Anonymous said...

Matt, I am envious but so happy for you. Your place looks great and glad you are having such a wonderful time.

Take care, keep safe..
Illa

Nipon said...

It's Loy Kratong. Hope u get a chance to do the Loy Kratong in the river and see some of the old festival celebrations.

Meg said...

Matty!
I love reading your updates. I love the way you just soak up everything you are seeing, doing, eating...whatever it may be! Keep it up, buddy!

Love
Meghan

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, my name's Paul and I travelled to Pai in 1996 and had a bloody good time there too, loving the music and playing at BeBop with Chart. (photos on flickr)

It was really great to read your blog... happy memories, eh?