Thursday, November 29, 2007

Musical Pai

Hey there all, after not posting for a while I received some emails and such from people wanting me to post again, so here you have it.
This is what I've been up to for the last little while.
Since Pai is such a little musical metropolis there is much opportunity to partake if you know your way around an instrument. The places that have live music are mainly BeBop, Phu Pai, and Buffalo Exchange. There are some other that have live stuff on some nights too. BeBop has the aim to make people move, to make those hips shake and those arms flail! Phu Pai caters more towards the sitting coffee, tea, but mainly beer drinker, offering many tables and couches to sit down and listen to some nice music. Reggae, world, blues and recently some acoustic music fill the air and your ears (the sound system here is the best in Pai in my opinion, BeBop a close second).
Buffalo exchange has more folkish stuff playing, some funk also. I had played at Buffalo for nearly a week straight before starting to play BeBop and Phu Pai on occasion. Buffalo is just a really fun place to sit and sing along to some good Jack Johnson or more popish stuff.
I have been playing a little drums with my friend Pu playing guitar at Buffalo doing some America (horse with no name) or Neil Young. Always good fun.
I've been playing bass at BeBop for the last 3 nights. I now realize how much I miss playing in a band, it's so much fun! We play blues or rock and roll, the owner Chart on guitar, he plays a mean slide. Sometimes I will sing a couple of songs such as Crossroads, Sitting on top of the World, Little Wing, Red House, Let it Be. You get the idea, we play classics. Now, BeBop doesn't really start "bopping" till about 11:30, before that time imagine a darkly lit pub, couples sitting around tables sipping beers and bobbing there heads to the music.
Last night however there was a guy named Mitch Woods in town, he is a blues singer and pianist from the U.S. (http://www.mitchwoods.com/)
Luckily during high school I played in a good jazz band for a number of years, learning to play with many styles and acquiring the skill to site read music. These skills came in handy, we played so much walking blues my fingers were falling off! I had an absolute blast! Also playing with us was a guitar player names Joe Cummings, also one of the chief editors of the Lonely Planet!! His picture is most likely inside the cover if you have one of the books handy.
Playing at Phu Pai was an awesome experience since the sound is so crisp. A friend of mine from England, Boz, also a singer-songwriter, has been coming to Pai for a number of years now for about half of the year. He has played at Phu Pai before and asked me to go halfers of an hour long set there for two nights. It was quite enjoyable! I played 4 originals and then 1 cover, High and Dry by Radiohead.

I only have pictures of me jamming with Chart and some others guys, unfortunately I have none of Mitch Woods and us.
This is Chart, Norbert, Bim and I jamming some blues!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's 7:00am here in WInnipeg, and a frosty one. What a delight to sip my hot coffee and read all your new postings and see your great pictures!
love you and miss you!
Mom

Matt Ward said...

Hey mom! glad to hear that you enjoyed the postings!
love ya!
-matt

Cliff said...

Hi Matt Great to hear from you Love your pictures as they tell us a lot about how you are doing. Yes it's been a long time. Grandma said Hi. We are all doing great enjoying the -37 wind chill. by for niow Luv G King